Friday, February 20, 2015

I May Have Missed My Calling

Do you ever find yourself suddenly blurting out songs and/or movie lines but randomly change some of the lyrics to suit whatever moment you're in?

I do this all the time sometimes, but yesterday, it happened twice in one day with our youngest.  I think she's pretty sure I may need therapy.

We walked in from the car, and I can't remember what she did, but an old Mary Catherine Gallagher skit from SNL popped into my head, where the guest was Gabriel Byrne (or Rosie O'Donnell?) playing a Catholic school headmaster auditioning students for the spring musical or something.
Me:  Yes, that's not too..nice...Mary Catherine.
Remember her?  (Molly Shannon's best.SNL.skit.ever)


Oldest:  What?

Me:   It's a reference from an old Saturday Night Live thing.

Her:  Who's Mary Catherine?

Me:  It's from...before you were born.  But it was hilarious.

Her:  ...

Me:  Nevermind.

Later the same night.  We're all sitting in the living room, and we were looking at a little braided ankle bracelet that our oldest made for her out of strings with her new school colors. I couldn't help it...I just heard Cyndi Lauper's 1986 raspy voice in my head, and I started singing:

I SEE YOUR SCHOOL COLORS SHINING THROUGH.  I SEE YOUR SCHOOL COLORS! AND THAT'S WHY I LOOOOVE YOU!

Her:  Wow.

Me:  Ok, I'm done now.

I may have missed my calling.  I wonder if they're still auditioning for American Idol...


Am I the only one who mystifies my children with my randomly "awesome" musical ability? Ever embarrass your kids with some hidden talent that should possibly remain hidden?


P.S.  I found the link to the whole Gabriel Byrne skit, which doesn't have my lines in it, but still.  Here you go

Ah, I found it!   Here's the skit with Rosie (and the incomparable Whitney Houston).

You're welcome.


2 comments:

  1. HAHAAH

    I do that all the time....drives my kids nuts..or they just indulgently pat my head..depends on their mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest says she can't un-hear "I Hear Your True Colors" that way now.

      Delete