Friday, July 3, 2015

Peace Out, Man

I thought about writing a whole post about people who should be nicer than this guy from my last post, but then...I looked outside at the sunshine and the daisies and echinacea blooming together outside my office window this morning.  There are at least five different kinds of bees going about their business, birds are singing, and the garden is sparkling where the water droplets have clung to the flower petals and the dill heads, and I thought  you know what? no.

Today, I'm just going back outside.  We are fortunate enough to live on our own 5-acre oasis of calm that is a world away from the craziness everywhere, and though I complain more or less constantly about the overwhelming number of things that need done outside on any given day...I am grateful for every inch of the little piece of heaven we are blessed to live on.  Less weeds would be great, but still.

There are currants to pick in the shade of the weeping birch this afternoon, and the raspberries and blueberries are ripening faster every day.  There are bushels of gorgeous roses blooming.  We have mint/lemon balm sun tea soaking up the heat on the back deck, and there is a hammock ready for a sunset break with a good book.  What else could I need?

It's going to be 100 degrees today, so it's also a perfect day for the beach, and there are tons of choices around here. Later I'm making potato salad and my mom's cucumber salad, and panna cotta to go with the berries after our BBQ dinner tomorrow to celebrate this great country's independence day.  We can watch all the big fireworks displays in the county from our hot tub under the full moon tomorrow night, with no crowds to fight, no traffic in sight, the cel phones off, and I will be with two of my favorite people in the world.

If you stop and take a breath sometimes, you realize how much you have to be grateful for.

Have a fun and safe 4th, you guys.


My little piece of heaven





6 comments:

  1. Aw yay, love it. Okay I'm going to get off the internet now and go appreciate things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love it--

      I even took a NAP. Right in the middle of the day. Which is another thing I don't do often enough...

      Delete
  2. Yes, there is a lot to enjoy amidst the trials of life! I wish I could join you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's been a nice weekend so far :)

      Delete
  3. Awww I love how you turned it around to positivity and gratitude. Damn that's awesome. That's my jam right there. And you do live in a gorgeous area, it sounds like. You get to go to the beach? On a whim? For reals? THAT'S freaking awesome.

    I want some of that potato salad. And cucumber salad. And ....okay all of it, especially dessert. YUM. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth! We do live in a gorgeous place when it's not winter... !

      By "beach" I mean many lakes to chose from. But still. We do totally go to some of them on a whim, lol.

      Delete